Friday, October 31, 2008

"This Year Halloween Fell On A Weekend, Me x Geto Boys Was Trick-Or-Treating"

Before any arbitrary coastal or regional allegiances popped up in my world, good music was simply good music, and "My Mind's Playing Tricks On Me" from the 1991 Geto Boys album "We Can't Be Stopped" was then, and still remains, 1 of the best songs ever committed to vinyl (NOTE: Yeah, that was the typical method of audio conveyance popular back then, along with some weird manufacture called "cassette tapes" ... lol). Be most clear, "My Mind's Playing Tricks On Me" isn't just good by Hip Hop standards ... it is superb by ALL discerning contemporary musical metrics.

This particular song candidly communicates a hustler's paranoia (possibly a precursor to 1 of Jay-Z's overwhelming dictating style components) and explores the twisted rationale that allows us to justify what we do when we do what we do. Scarface's 2nd verse (the 3rd verse of the song) is a haunting study of the self doubt that can emerge in a person when faced with the conflict of conscience that befalls all intelligent would be convicts. On the real, Scarface's 2nd verse on "My Mind's Playing Tricks On Me" is 1 of the best Hip Hop verses that I have ever heard from any MC from anywhere - I'd put cash money on it kid.

These are the thoughts that do Nascar like laps in your mind when you're all alone in a strange town in a cheap motel room waiting for a call from your O.T. semi-trustworthy "connect" or, even while laying in bed @ home with "wifey", all the while questioning whether or not Y.O.U. are mistakenly "sleeping with the enemy". This song was real waaaaaaaaaaay before I could fully appreciate it's relevance.

I absolutely L.O.V.E. this song.

I could have featured this Houston, Texas gem @ anytime, but it felt especially apropos because Halloween really "fell on a weekend" this year. Who knows? I might post this same clip next year when it falls on Saturday my nigga ... lol. What's good?

No comments: