Thursday, September 25, 2008

"I Walk Around Town With The Pound Strapped Down".


I can't front, I sometimes really worry about today's youth. Why? Because, in spite of how "independent" that you think you are as an adolescent, we are ALL susceptible (to varying degrees) to all kinds of influences.

See, this is what I was listening to @ around 14 years old. These songs, fuck it, the entire "Dah Shinin'" album, was my album and each song felt like they had me and my homies in mind when they wrote it. I was a Baby Decept and this shit was like a young nigga's manual son. This is Brooklyn. If you want an idea of where my head was @ during that time, just listen to this album, "Ready To Die" and "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx".

Classic Smif N Wessun joints like "Bucktown", "Let's Get It On", "Sound Bwoy Bureill", "Stand Strong" and "P.N.C." were real to me and became my daily going to-and-from school A & F train soundtrack brought to life in vivid Dolby quality on my Aiwa auto-reverse walkman and Colby headphones. What's good 401 K?

Nowadays, I wonder what these whipper snappers relate to. Where's the depth of subject matter and emotion? Do kids today even feel music or are songs just meaningless tunes that blare in the background of their rooms as they extend their arms clutching digital cameras taking pictures of themselves in Baby GAP sized brightly colored clothes while they distort their faces to the point of looking like they're having a mini-stroke all in the hopes of successfully procuring a "cool" new default photo for their social networking site of choice? What? It's a real question ... lol.


BONUS:

Stand Strong

P.N.C.

No comments: