Thursday, September 18, 2008

"The Bigger We Get, The More We're Taking From Other People".

As with most songs from this era, I got my 1st taste of this classic record 1 random late Thursday night while crouched up next to my dual-cassette tape deck waiting for the kids up @ WNYU or Stretch Armstrong & Bobbito to satisfy my need for exclusive shit. I'm sure that I probably should have been getting ready for school or something ... lol.

The O'Jays's sample utilized for this song still sends a chill down my spine my nigga. I have since heard the same sample flipped numerous times by other artists, but never again has it sounded this good. On the heels of EPMD, between Rae & Ghost and Nas & AZ, the back-and-forth wordplay was @ an all time high in the game when this dropped homie ... nobody really does this today.

Anyway, this is a joint off of AZ's debut album "Doe Or Die". I L.O.V.E. that album with joints like "Ho Happy Jackie" and the original, Buckwild produced, "Your World Don't Stop". AZ's 1 of those MC's that everybody knows is nice, but, because he's worse than Jadakiss @ actually making records, niggas don't fuck with him. I always keep an eye out for what the homie is doing, but I stopped telling my peoples about his music a looooooooong time ago ... the interest just isn't there.

Oh yeah, peep how low budget this video is. Anytime that I watch these mid 90's Mafioso type videos I be trippin' off how broke the rappers looked in comparison to what I know now. Back then, a youngin' like me thought that these rappers were doin' it!

Hindsight being 20/20, I look back now and 9-out-of-10 times I just see a gang of dudes in Porta Bella suits and flimsy 10 KT gold chains telling me about all the Ki's they're moving. Word? LOL. I aint nowhere near mad @ them though because, @ that time, as a culture, a large segment of Hip Hop was learning what "Dolce Vita" was and of the trappings that come with success ... you see the growth.

For better or, often times, worse, joints like this shaped a generation of young hustler's tastes and made us want more than a pair of Air Jordans ... too bad it's only rap. From the play pen to the state pen. It is what it is.


BONUS:
What kind of a friend would I be if I DIDN'T give you the original sample as well? You're welcome. You're all welcome! Shout out to my BFF Jenji ... her sample knowledge is almost as official as mine ... lol.

2 comments:

NatelyRenee said...

and almost as official as MINE. don't sweat the technique ;-) hahaha..

Paul P. said...

I think my heart stopped when I first heard the "Gators from Barbados" line - even though it makes zero sense, then Rae's "cooling in Barbados" line from Wu Gambinos, I was wild open cause they were talking about my island! lol