Sunday, January 31, 2010

Jay Electronica Performs "Exhibit 'C'" @ The Roots' 6th Annual Pre-Grammy Jam @ The Key Club In LA x A Special LiveStyle Commentary.


CHRIS LIVE AKA SHAKER SAYS: As a dedicated MC myself, forgive me if I don't swoon over every mildly talented new artist @ the mere mention of their name. Case In Point: Jay Electronica. Now, please don't construe my critical analysis of his deafening "buzz" as "hate" or any other outright dismissive word meant to cripple my argument @ the knees, but, #imjustsaying homeboy is NOT the microphone Messiah that many would mislead Y.O.U. to believe. Sorry.

Yes, Jay Electronica is a gifted wordsmith, but me thinks that much of the adulation surrounding his music stems from the fact that he's from Down South (N.ew O.rleans to be exact) and that many of us tend to wrongly expect less lyrics and more ignorance from our brothers and sisters from below the Mason/Dixon Line. He benefits from reverse RAPism ... lol. I listen to Jay Electronica and all I hear is Nas and Common 2010. Once he put some coherent bars together laced with morsels of esoteric rhetoric the world of desperately Avant-Garde poseurs was putty in his chew stick stained hands. Additionally, his liberal use of %5 Lessons throughout his songs are ripe with nostalgia and a welcome return to a celebration of Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding as opposed to today's Chronic, Bitches and Not Caring To Understand A Thing. I get it, he's the perfect guy to root for right now.

All in all, I DO fux with this nigga ... for real. I am as happy to see Mr. Jay Elec'Yarmulke receive this current blast of media hype as I was when Drake 1st burst onto the scene ... both of these artists turn the spotlight on ALL of us whom truly L.O.V.E. the craft of lyricism. And there aint nothing wrong with that.

No comments: