Thursday, February 4, 2010

Respect The Architects: The Official Bad Brains Documentary Is On The Way!


Information Courtesy Of: SlamxHype.Com


CHRIS LIVE AKA SHAKER SAYS: As chief curator of the Livestyle brand, I relish the opportunity to feed the appetites of the style starved masses and introduce my influences to those whom I might be blessed to influence. Although I started out as strictly an MC, blogging has allowed me to better penetrate pop-culture and connect with my audience. I appreciate that. For me, content is king. So, whilst my penchant for penning cocaine laced verses chocked full of obscure references tucked behind double entendres and meticulous metaphors may fly 30,000 FT. above most peoples heads, in these blog entries I can now walk Y.O.U. through my process. Case In Point: Hardcore/Punk Rock pioneers Bad Brains.

In my song "I Understand" (NOTE: A favorite of both my little sister, the M.issing I.n A.ction Aisha AND the O.G. homie/entrepreneurial partner in crime, China) I cleverly assert my role as "A Black rock star like H.R./Bad Brains". Did anybody pick up on that? Ehhhhh, you'd have to ask them. I have long done away with predictable punch lines that cater to the lowest commom denominator in favor of dropping Mikimoto pearls of wisdom. The genre mashing and smashing group Bad Brains are but 1 of the groups that have inspired me to be my best self.

First of all, these brothers are true Ital Rastafarians. Secondly, they were originally a Jazz-Fusion band. Thirdly, for nearly 30 years this "Right Brigade" has done exactly what the fuck they want to do. How real is that? Very. These dudes were banned from performing in their hometown of Washington, D.C. and forced to relocate to New York City - a move that would prove to move the world. In 1982 Bad Brains dropped the self-titled album "Bad Brains" - a breakneck paced cassette of 15 roughly 1:30 minute raw songs that is widely regarded as the greatest Punk Rock/Hardcore album of all time.

In years since, this post-modern clan of uncompromising thrashers and accused gay bashers have done the typical break-up-to-make-up band thing a few times and their sound has changed, but these niggas still go hard! Why Y.O.U. think a top tier label like Supreme and the venerable skatewear firm, Vans, fux with them so heavy and create entire collections dedicate to them? That's right! Real recognize real.

Although archival footage of Bad Brains has been featured in numerous punk retrospectives, this, the definitive Bad Brains Documentary, is loooooooooooooong over due. It's time for the homies to tell the world why, after all of these years, they've still got an "Attitude". I can't wait for this film to hit screens. Good shit!


Official Movie Trailer:





BONUS:

Watch and learn boys and girls!

No comments: