Monday, October 11, 2010

A History Of Violence: Happy Columbus Day 2010!


(NOTE: The above image is clearly NOT a depiction of Christopher Columbus. It's a picture of SUPER ACTION HERO Christopher Columbus ... lol)


CHRIS LIVE AKA SHAKER SAYS: Each year around this time my expansive knowledge of history tempts me to really reconsider the Columbus Day holiday in it's current corporate state. I mean, in light of the horrific imperialism, slavery and straight up murder connected to one, Christopher Columbus, how could anyone in their right mind celebrate this mass murderer? Am I right? Of course I am.

That having been said, each year I also tend to quickly reduce such raging revolutionary boil to a simmer. Why? Because, sadly, most of our national holidays (NOTE: Yes, even Christmas) all have some form of nefarious roots and, under close examination, contain a much darker subtext than that of which 99.9% of casual observers would like to believe. Basically, there's a ton of shit to be upset about. So, while I don't give much of a fuck about Christopher Columbus or the boats that he rode in on (NOTE: The Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria! Thank Y.O.U. 2nd grade! LOL), I gotta give it up for my Italian friends. They L.O.V.E. this day. Let them have it.

Look, I know that Christopher Columbus did NOT prove that the world was round OR discover an already immensely populated land (NOTE: The ancient Egyptian-Greek scientist Erastosthenes, working for Alexandria and Aswan, already had measured the circumference and diameter of the world in the third century B.C. and, well, as for discovering this land, people were already here ... lol). This is not a matter of ignorance on my part, so much as it is an adaptive reaction to the dissonance that exists between my recognition of historic brutality and my L.O.V.E. of Columbus Day and calzones ... lol. Hey, @ least I'm honest. It is what it is. This is Livestyle.

No comments: