Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day 2011 AKA For The L.O.V.E. Of Something Other Than Money ... For Once.


CHRIS LIVE AKA SHAKER SAYS: In it's current shamelessly hyper-corporatized incarnation, St. Valentine's Day, for those of us lucky enough to be in a relationship, has become a rush to the register to prove our L.O.V.E. by dint of the almighty dollar.

Simultaneously, for the poor souls whom have NOT had their L.O.V.E. lives anointed by Cupid's ambrosial tipped arrow, Valentine's Day shines a very public and unforgiving light on their perceived inability to find a suitable companion.

Years ago, my friend Jaqcui coined the acronym "S.A.D." for this phenomenon (NOTE: Not to be confused with the term "S.easonal A.ffective D.isorder". Although both share more than a few similarities.) for S.ingle A.wareness D.ay. I like that definition. Clever girl!

That having been said, as I mature and continue to explore L.O.V.E. as social construct as opposed to the basic biological need for contact, I have come to view this day as larger than simply who one is dating. We are waaaaaaaaay (NOTE: Or, at least, we should be.) past the showy "Me! Me! Me!" High School display of helium balloon inflated egos that sees the "hot" (NOTE: Whom are also, ironically, the "cool" girls as well.) on parade with gifts and candy down locker lined hallways as the lesser girls slip into the shadows of teenage oblivion. How cruel.

Whilst I never took the Valentine's Day bait, I would be a super liar if I tried to act like I aint do the last minute scramble for teddy bears and heart shaped boxes on more than a few occasions. But, guess what!? Even though my lady and I generally celebrate Valentine's Day with the requisite dinner and exchange of presents, we no longer interpret the state of our relationship based upon the events of 1 chocolate covered day. No, L.O.V.E. is a marathon ... NOT a sprint. Shit aint easy, but you've got to work on what you've got 365 my nigga! Today is ALL about the ladies b. Deal with it.

For my single Livestyle constituents, Y.O.U. don't have to strictly recognize a romantic kind of L.O.V.E. today. I encourage Y.O.U. to L.O.V.E. yourself, your friends and family and, most definitely your mother. See folks, when view liked that, L.O.V.E. really IS L.O.V.E. Know the ledge.

No comments: